Thursday, July 4, 2013

I Love to Read

In my efforts to correct some long-held beliefs I've had about myself and the world in general, I have discovered that one of the best ways to change, really change negative behavior patterns, is to frequently, regularly, constantly immerse your thoughts in the opposite. For instance, for the last decade or so, I have maintained the rather strong belief that I hate to read. I just hate it. I can't pick up a book. I will transfer schools 9 times, move across the country 6 times, live with (I can't be entirely sure, but) upwards of 40 random roommates, organize everything in the house to oblivion, write list after list of unimportant errands that "I have to do first", and then retire home to the stack of books that I should really read, but just "didn't have time"... until I have been in school for 7 choppy years with not much to show for it. However, in the last 12 months of being stuck at home more than I would have chosen on my own, I have had more time on my hands than closets to organize, and have gradually discovered that I actually love to read! The more I read, the more I realize I am interested in things I didn't know I was, and the more alive I feel. What was once perhaps my most frequently avoided task has become one of my favorite pastimes. Here's one thing I like to read: http://momastery.com/blog/ - This woman is the bomb. Thanks Amy for introducing me. Gotta go - Charlotte's running amuck. I have a feeling most of these posts are going to be short and sweet. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment